Friday 30 March 2012

Hello, fellow foodies. It’s been a long while since I’ve flexed my blogging muscles, but at last I have decided to take my love and passion for healthy nourishment and turn it into an online blog. Here’s some background information on myself:

I’m a 21-year-old vegan chick whose philosophy is based strongly on how lifestyle choices shape the quality of the lives we live. A former smoker and McDonalds junkie, I am now proudly smoke-free, very active and thrive on a delicious and nutritious plant-based diet.

Through my blog, I hope to share some yummy recipes, discuss health food issues and/or currently trending fads, and talk about some products that I’ve been digging.

Now, I believe it’s important to talk a little bit about my reasons for being a vegan as a starting point for my blog. A lot of non-vegans who have zero background info make assumptions and judgements, and truthfully they can’t be blamed for not knowing information they’ve never learned.

To make a long story short, I started off being vegan purely for health reasons. About last summer, I was doing one of my month-long toxins cleanses in which I abstained from caffeine, alcohol, dairy and meat. I felt amazing after every time I’d do these. I then had the thought, Well if I feel amazing when I don’t eat this stuff for a month, why do I ever put it into my body the rest of the time? This really got me thinking. I also read Skinny Bitch at this time, which was my first peek at how animal products are truly doing a number on my health. Without sounding preachy, this stuff is poison. I quickly got out some literature to compare with that I’d initially read. My researches lead me to conclude that the food industry and media are not reliable sources we can always trust our health with. Animal protein was taking my body a ton of energy to digest, which was taking away from nutrient absorption of the good stuff. The hormones and whatever other awful feed the animals I was eating had in their diet ended up right in my gut, where the dead meat would literally rot. Yuck. And I was shocked to read that dairy was actually, very contrary to popular belief, depleting the calcium from bones. I did already know this, but shockingly humans are the only animals who drink milk past infancy, not to mention another animal’s milk. Ain’t nothing natural about that to me. Some of this information may shock a lot of you, so please feel free to do your own research. You’ll be surprised what you find through looking through medical studies done in recent years.

So, now that I’ve acquainted myself with the readers, please stay tuned and keep diggin’ the Veggie Vibes.

No comments:

Post a Comment