Wednesday 16 May 2012

The Importance of Organics

When you get so absorbed in a way of living, it just sort of becomes your way without any effort. I automatically go for the organic option if it is available to me with the conventional. Most people see "Oh, conventional carrots are 1.99 and organic is 2.49" and just reach for the lower price. I am not criticizing these people, because this is how their mind is trained to think. A lot of the time we don't actually know why organic is so much healthier for you. I hope to clear some things up and inspire more organic choices with this post.

Why organic? I can't afford it!
One thing I hear all the time is "Wow, I'd love to eat organic, but I can't afford it." Is that a new pair of shoes you're wearing? And you spent how much at the bar last weekend? Health should NOT be put at the bottom of your budgeting. It is not an expense, it is an investment.


Eating food which contains chemicals can interfere with nutrient absorption. All those chemicals that are concentrated in your lovely fruits and veggies end up in your body, which is constantly working to eliminate toxins. When so many additional toxins are being ingested, our bodies can't always keep up, and not enough energy is left to absorb nutrients from the food. These conventional foods are also subject to being genetically altered, since non-organic food need not be labelled if it contains GMO in Canada. Your only safe bet to avoiding genetically engineered food is purchasing organic food with a legitimate certification. Besides health effects for humans who consume the food, our poor Earth is being abused with all the junk we're spraying over our over-farmed land. The environmental health of the soil is compromised with conventional, pesticide-ridden produce. Yuck.


Believe you me, I am not made of money. I'm sort of a broke part time worker who's in between school transitions. Do I buy all organic? No. But I do prioritize which produce I absolutely buy organic. Anything where I'll be eating the skin is a must: apples, berries, carrots, etc. Anything I'm juicing is absolutely gotta be organic, because if it were conventional produce, all those pesticides would just be concentrated in my "healthy" drink. The EWG made a list called "The Clean 15" and "The Dirty Dozen" to help shoppers prioritize which produce is lower in pesticides and can be purchased conventionally. http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/

Give the organics a try for a week and see how amazing you feel. I guarantee it!


1 comment:

  1. This was amazing, thanks for sharing such important information, this is a must read for everyone <3 And you make a valid point when it comes to $$ especially!! Thanks again babe!

    ReplyDelete