Thursday 10 May 2012

Preparing for and recovering after a vacation

I recently had the pleasure of going on an all inclusive week long vacation to Cuba. It was truly paradise. However, it was far from my typical day to day life in Toronto!

Preparing for the trip, of course my big concern was the food. As a vegan, I hoped there would be vegan options served for each of the meals. Obviously I knew they wouldn't be the health food I was used to eating, meaning they're definitely not organic or made without added salt, sugar, etc. I decided that I will pack a few staple items to keep me somewhat feeling normal and lay off being too picky on the food served, as long as it's vegan of course.


I packed raw organic pumpkin seeds, almond milk, raisins, some maca, bee pollen, spirulina, chia seeds, oatmeal and a few delicious Larabars.


My main concern was the breakfast. I knew that there may be a big selection, but breakfast is usually cereal (with dairy milk), eggs or meat. I did anticipate delicious fruit though, and I was right! Honestly, I usually started my day with fresh guava, pineapple, papaya, watermelon or banana. The fruit was incredible. I did pack a few organic instant oatmeal packages, which I ate for breakfast a few times with my almond milk and some bee pollen and fruit. 

Lunch and dinner were actually a pleasant surprise. Tons of selection that actually tasted so good. Obviously eating overcooked, canned or fried food would not be something I'd do at home, but I'm not going to complain. I ate a lot of boiled potato, rice, black beans, peas and carrots, pasta with veggies and new foods I loved trying, such as yucca and plantains. They did have a raw salad area, which I was thrilled to see! I would have been a lot more careful in asking for what is 100% vegan at home (is that cooked with oil or margarine, etc), but the last thing a vacation needs is stress. I used common sense and my own judgement and also enjoyed a few indulgences.



In addition to the food I ate, I was also enjoying cocktails. A lot. I know I'm a health nut, but I'm also 21 years old and haven't been on vacation in 6 years. I tried to enjoy minimal fruity and high calorie drinks, and mainly stuck to gin with soda water. The calories do add up, my friends. I gained 4 lbs., 2 which have been lost in a few days just from abstaining from alcohol!

I'm not usually a coffee drinker, either. Again, my indulgences got the best of me. I was having one or two Cuban coffees a day, and I don't regret it one bit. However, I am treating this as an indulgence, and now I'm cutting back to my regular few times a week java. 

To recover from my week of naughty behavior, I am just getting my whole foods back in my diet. I'm ditching the canned and processed food and eating my veggies and grains that I'm used to. Oh, and I missed my juicer A LOT!

I did work out while I was away, but not the high intensity workouts I'm used to here. Upon returning, I had a sore throat and cold, so the first few workouts weren't as productive. I think my body is finally reaching it's equilibrium! 

No comments:

Post a Comment